This role requires a hands-on approach working within our Petting Farm; we are looking for a responsible and dedicated individual to join our animal team on a part-time basis. The successful individual will ideally have a broad-base of animal knowledge – experience working with a range of animals or within a petting farm environment is desirable but not essential. You must have a flexible approach whilst being engaging, confident, approachable and keen to learn new skills whilst focusing on animal welfare and visitor engagement. In addition to the daily tasks, this position also includes taking part in, and delivering, daily animal encounters with visitors (Covid-19 restrictions apply).
- You must be confident, enthusiastic, and able to publically speak to large groups of people
- You must be able to engage with visitors and answer enquiries
- You must be able to work as part of a team but also confident in working and carrying out tasks alone
- Keen eye for detail
- Excellent time-keeping
- High levels of flexibility in order to respond to daily challenges across a wide range of areas.
- You must be able to work weekends, school holidays and bank holidays
- Animal care qualifications are desirable, but not essential. Ongoing in-house training is given.
- Assisting with general site maintenance including the emptying of bins, sweeping, weeding and cleaning.
- Day to day care and husbandry of all animals including sheep, goats, equines, rabbits/guinea pigs, aviary birds and poultry.
- Diet preparation, animal observation and record keeping.
- Assisting with veterinary care when needed.
- Strict adherence to safe working practices and high standards.
This position is covering 4-5 days. Starting time will be 08.00 am daily, however, flexibility is essential and more hours may be required during peak times including school holidays, special events, lambing etc. Hourly rate to be discussed at interview stage.
Working outdoors, in all weather conditions as the needs of the business dictate.
This is a zero-hour contract with hours offered as and when required.